Posted December 10, 2015 by Indy Quillen. Categories:
The Bureau of Land Management will be holding a National Public Lands Day Event this Saturday, December 12th, at the Tumco Historic Mining Town.
The day will consist of many projects, including; rock lining, installation of directional signs and waypoint markers along the interpretive trail, as well as rehabbing, retrofitting and painting the current kiosk with a new panel and brochure box.
Tumco Historic Mining Town: Ogilby Road and BLM Route 668
Meet at 8:00am at the El Centro Field Office to caravan out to the site. Of you can meet at the site at 9:00am.
FREE NPLD shorts will be provided to participants.
About the Site:
Tumco is an abandoned gold mining town in one of the earliest gold mining areas in California. It’s history spans some 300 years. Originally named Hedges, the town was abandoned in 1905. Renamed Tumco in 1910 when The United Mines Company gave another attempt at retrieving the gold, by 1911 the diminishing returns forced residents to leave for Yuma.
Tumco was a typical mining town in its day with historical accounts talking of rich eastern investors, unscrupulous charlatans and colorful characters in the raucous townsite during the mining boom that ultimately lead to financial ruin.
Little can be seen of Tumco today, but during the boom time of the 1890’s, it supported a population of at least 500 people. Ultimately over 200,000 ounces of ore was taken from the mines in the area, producing $1,000 per day in gold.